Great Books Chicago
Her Own Accord — May 5–7, 2017
We are pleased to announce that registration for Great Books Chicago 2017—Her Own Accord is now open. This year’s theme is “Who We Are and Who We Desire to Be.” Discussions will center on Her Own Accord: American Women on Identity, Culture, and Community, our exciting new anthology that explores issues of identity, family, relationships, work, and politics.
We will also be discussing Willa Cather’s most famous novel, My Ántonia. Other planned events include:
- Reception with drinks and dinner buffet at Pinstripes Chicago
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater production of Shakespeare in Love at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 6.
Registration is limited to 60, so we encourage you to register promptly.
What is the registration fee?
What’s included in the registration fee?
- One copy each of the Great Books Foundation’s new anthology Her Own Accord: American Women on Identity, Culture, and Community, and Willa Cather’s celebrated novel, My Antonia
- Participation in three discussions, one each day, led by Great Books Foundation staff. Discussions will be held at the DePaul University conference center located at 1 E. Jackson Blvd, 8th floor.
- Friday evening reception with hors d’oeuvres and drinks at Pinstripes Chicago
- Ticket to a performance of “Shakespeare in Love” at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater at 3:00 p.m. Saturday, May 6.
- And more to come!
What readings will we discuss?
My Antonia by Willa Cather (the full novel)
Readings from Her Own Accord to be determined
Is there a more detailed itinerary?
We are still finalizing arrangements. We’ll send registrants the final itinerary by April 14, 2017.
Where will the three discussions take place?
Discussions will be held at the DePaul University conference center located at 1 E. Jackson Blvd, 8th floor.
What else do I need to know?
Read our Tips & Practical Information sheet for essential details that will help make sure your weekend in Chicago runs as smoothly as possible!
Are any Great Books Chicago events held at a centralized hotel?
Are attendees staying at the same hotel?
No. Participants can stay wherever they want.
Should I book accommodations early?
Yes, we suggest you don’t wait too long to reserve your accommodations.