Creating a Great Books Council of the Southwest
Tempe, Arizona, February 16–18, 2018
Sponsored by Harrison Middleton University, Great Hearts Academies, the Great Books Foundation, and the Alliance for Liberal Learning
The Southwest Great Books Weekend is an opportunity to meet friends and neighbors who enjoy the exploration of great writing and great ideas.
The Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix provides the setting for Big Ideas in Popular Culture: Music, Film, and Television, a day of readings and discussions focused on the questions, challenges, and influence of popular art.
We invite you to spend the weekend learning about the impact of popular culture and the power of Shared Inquiry discussion. We’ll also take first steps toward building a Great Books Council of the Southwest, a community association dedicated to reading, listening, discussion, and lifelong learning.
Friday, 6:00 p.m.–7:30 p.m.
Great Books in the Community: Events, Regional Councils, and Lifelong Learning
Saturday, 8:45 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Big Ideas in Popular Culture: Music, Film, and Television—a day of readings and discussions
Sunday, 9:00 a.m.–11:00 a.m.
Organizational meeting of the new Great Books Southwest Council
The $100 registration fee includes:
- One copy each of Sound Bites: Big Ideas in Popular Music, Double Features: Big Ideas in Film, and Tube Talk: Big Ideas in Television
- Participation in three Shared Inquiry discussions—one from each anthology—at the Desert Botanical Gardens, led by experienced Great Books leaders
- Entrance to Desert Botanical Gardens (guests are encouraged to tour the gardens during breaks)
- Light refreshments Friday night and a catered lunch on Saturday
- Shuttle service to and from the Embassy Suites Hotel in Tempe
- Invitation to participate in the organizational meeting of the Great Books Southwest Council