We know that, as an educator, you are very busy. Making time for needed professional development—including arranging for substitute teachers when necessary—can be a big challenge. That’s why we’ve been working hard to develop an asynchronous course for inquiry-based learning. Now you can learn at your own pace with our Shared Inquiry Essentials On-Demand course.
Registration Is Open
You can register any time for this new course. We have arranged several registration windows for your convenience! As you take the course at your own pace, you will be able to contact an experienced Great Books trainer should you have any questions.
To choose a registration window, keep in mind that we recommend you complete the self-paced course within 45 days of beginning. The course takes about 10 hours to complete.
- Registration Window | November 1–15, 2022 • Register
- Registration Window | November 16–30, 2022 • Register
- Registration Window | December 1–15, 2022 • Register
- Registration Window | December 16–31, 2022 • Register
- Registration Window | January 1–15, 2023 • Register
- Registration Window | January 16–31, 2023 • Register
The course is organized into six units, each composed of multiple learning modules.
Expert trainers guide you through each learning module.
Shared Inquiry Essentials On-Demand Course Description
Designed for teachers, this asynchronous course prepares you to begin using the Great Books Foundation’s Shared Inquiry™ method of learning through reading and discussion with students at all levels. Participants will learn questioning strategies that keep discussions lively and focused and improve students’ reading, critical thinking, writing, and oral communication skills. Participants also practice writing interpretive questions and using follow-up questions to involve students of all ages and proficiency levels. See how interpretive activities support student learning and enable students to learn more across the curriculum. This course includes instruction in the following areas:
- Introduction to Shared Inquiry
- The Shared Inquiry Sequence of Activities
- Experiencing Shared Inquiry
- Leader Preparation
- Leading Shared Inquiry Discussion
- Classroom Implementation
Participants are encouraged to contribute to the discussion forums throughout the course and take part in the Shared Inquiry community.
As part of the course requirements, participants will need to submit a lesson plan and classroom reflection after conducting a story unit within their classroom. Those who complete the asynchronous modules, required coursework, and reflection will be eligible for a Shared Inquiry Leader Badge and Certificate.
Get All the Benefits of Our Shared Inquiry Learning Center!
When you register for the Shared Inquiry Essentials On-Demand course, you’ll have 12-month access to a wide array of resources in the Shared Inquiry Learning Center. In the Learning Center, you can:
- Access additional in-person, blended, and online training
- Participate in an engaged community of inquiry-based education professionals
- Take advantage of free resources, such as lesson plans, demonstration videos, and training tools to get you started using the Shared Inquiry method
- Participate in free events, including free Shared Inquiry discussions for educators
Questions? Please Reach Out
If you have any questions about the new Shared Inquiry Essentials On-Demand course or about our Shared Inquiry Learning Center, please get in touch with your Great Books K–12 partnership manager. We are eager to welcome you into the Learning Center and get you started on a journey of great professional learning and engagement with like-minded educators!